Shambhavi Mudra is an exceptionally apparent exercise in yogic and tantric texts. Shambhavi is an effective mudra used throughout meditation to nevertheless the mind and revel in better degrees of consciousness. Shambhavi mudra is mentioned within the yogic text Gheranda Samhita. It essentially involves looking at the eyebrow middle.
How to do Shambhavi Mudra (The Eyebrow Center Gazing)?
- Sit in any meditative asana like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Sukhasana, or Swastikasana.
- The fingers can assume Jnana mudra or Chin mudra and the palms can rest on the knees.
- It is nothing but gazing at the eyebrow center. With our eyes, we cannot see the place where the two eyebrows meet. But an attempt is made to focus the vision between the eyebrows. Roll both eyes upwards and try to gaze at the eyebrow center.
- When you do this, you will be able to see the two eyebrows as two curved lines meeting at the center. It forms a kind of V-shaped line with a dip at the center.
- Concentrate the eyes on this dip in the lower central region of the V-shaped line.
- Maintain this position for as long as you can. Initially, the eye muscles will start to pain after a few seconds or within minutes. Relax the eyes and bring them back to the normal position. Rest for some time and try again. With practice, one can maintain this gaze for a longer period.
- Breathe normally during practice. As you proceed with the meditation technique, your breath will slow down and become more subtle.
- It can take one into deep states of meditation.
Variations of Shambhavi Mudra
It also can be executed with eyes closed. superior college students who’ve already mastered the attention brow gazing with eyes open can attempt the equal with eyes closed.
Benefits of Shambhavi Mudra (The Eyebrow Center Gazing)
Shambhavi mudra is taken into consideration as one of the maximum critical mudras for meditation. It enables us to transcend our thoughts and attain better states of consciousness. it can assist one reach the state of Samadhi. The eyes have a right-away reference to our thoughts. when the eyes are moving, the thoughts are greater lively. whilst you restore the eyes at one point, the mind also settles down and the mind is reduced. The Gheranda Samhita pronounces that one who masters Shambhavi mudra becomes the same as Lord Siva, Vishnu, and Brahma.
It enables to bolster of the eye muscle groups. by way of constant exercise, the muscular tissues can sustain the placement for a long period for prolonged meditation.
Shambhavi mudra activates the Ajna chakra.
ALSO READ: Utthita Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose)